Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Jing

I have heard of Jing, but I never took the time to play around with it to see exactly what you can do with it.  Jing is a simple program that downloads quickly and is at your fingertips within a few minutes.  It gives the user capabilities to capture image and video screen shots.  When doing any kind of work with images, this is a must-have.  Let's say you want to make a quick image for your webpage.  You could use a simple program like Microsoft Publisher to create the image, take a screen capture image of the image in Publisher, and you have a web-ready image in a matter of minutes without using any complicated graphics programs. 

I wanted to create a colorful image for our school webpage, so I used Microsoft Publisher to quickly use the shape and text tools to create the image and used Jing to capture it as a web-ready image. I then uploaded it to the web.  Super easy!  Check it out on the web at http://ae.horrycountyschools.net.  Now that I know about Jing, I don't know how I ever lived without it.  There are so many other uses, as well.

It can also be used to capture images on the web.  Many Smartboard users who have access to Smart Notebook know about the screen capture options available to create interactive documents to use on the Smartboard, but there are also those still teaching without Smartboards.  Let's say you are on the web and run across some useful worksheets, and you only want to use bits and pieces of different ones instead of printing a whole worksheet.  Capture sections using Jing and import into Microsoft Word or Publisher to put together something that will work in your specific situation.

I hope you find this free tool as useful as I have.  Enjoy!
http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment